Monday, February 17, 2014

Bi-Racial Couples

Remember when Bi-Racial couples used to be so taboo. I forget that we are a bi-racial couple when it comes to Tim and I. I think I am colorblind when it comes to Tim and I, it's not like I think about the fact that my husbands white and I'm some sort of mix between croatian and mexican. I forget that we are from two very different backgrounds. The times I think about it are times like when I wonder what our children will look like. I'm hoping they will be a mix between the two of us, but who knows I could end up with completely white children or we could end up with brown children. I laugh when I think about what it will be like if our children do take after Tim will people think I'm their nanny taking them to the park. I feel like we have come so far to even be thinking about things like that but sometimes those thoughts just seep in, I guess I'll find that out when we get there. And sometimes people are going to forget that a child can have parents from two completely different ethnicities.

Hey I'm guilty of that I'll never forget the embarrassment I felt when I was subbing for preschool and a women walked into the preschoolers bathroom to help her daughter use the potty, I became very concerned because the little girl was half african american (father's side) and half asian (mother's side) and in looks she took after her dad. I asked the woman if she knows the little girl and she said yes she's my daughter, my cheeks instantly got red and I apologized right away stating that parents aren't really allowed in the bathrooms (as all the children go in and out freely), but that it was alright since her daughter was the only one in there. I don't know if I offended the woman or not, I was hoping that she was appreciative that I was looking after the safety of the kids, but who knows. All I know is that I left that day with the realization that sometimes I'm not as colorblind as I feel and we all make assumptions that can be very wrong sometimes.

In any case I do love how common Bi-Racial families are becoming it just shows how we can appreciate beauty uniquely!

Also have you seen that adorable Cherrios commercial with the Bi-Racial family I love it so adorable!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting. I'm totally aware that you and Tim are ethnically from different backgrounds, but I too have never thought of you as a bi-racial couple. You're just Melina & Tim to me. :)

Maggie said...

I love you, Melina! This post is great. You're Tim and Melina to me too :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails