Thursday, May 3, 2012

Carbs and Curves

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." ~Sophia Loren


So this past semester I took a psychopharmacology class (try saying that 5 times fast), and one of the things that stuck with me was the lesson on the brain and the neurotransmitters. We had a guest speaker come and talk to us about how different substances effect the re uptake process of neurotransmitters. I'm not going to get too scientific on you but one thing he said that I'll never forget is that carbs are just as important as proteins! Did you know if you eat too many proteins and not enough carbs (i.e. atkins or any other high protein diet) it not only effects your body it affects your mood, those body builder types that only eat protein tend to be more angry than those that have a healthy balance of carbs and proteins. As a grad student in the mental health field depression and anxiety are of concern for more people than you think and it's so important to keep not only your body but your mind healthy as well. So go ahead and eat up those carbs. I have found that as I get older I am not so focused on having a stick skinny boyish figure, and that I actually enjoy having curves, just like sophia loren I think women should embrace their curves. 
(Just remember that when reading labels you want the fiber count to be much higher than the sugars when picking healthy carbs)
for more information on this here is a reader friendly article that basically says the same thing as the scientific articles, but in an easier reading format. 

Also this is a great book on the eating a balanced diet to sustain your mental health its called Potatoes Not Prozac.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails