Wednesday, May 22, 2013

When Celebrity's Become Positive Role Models


I must admit I have found myself drawn to celebrity gossip every once in a while and I always feel ashamed of myself, because I feel like intelligent educated women should have better information, and reading materials they can fill their time with! However for once I am proud to say that I have been more than intrigued by the current buzz about Angelina Jolie.

Before you walk away from reading celebrity buzz ask yourself this, do you have any family or friends that have experienced a form of ovarian or breast cancer. If you answered yes then you need to pay attention to the brave decision Angelina Jolie made once she had a genetic testing in which she found a gene that has an 87% chance of breast or ovarian cancer. Jolie's mother had passed away from cancer, and because of the current preventative strategies that we have now she was able to get genetic testing, which led her to find a gene that increased her chance of cancer to 85%. Once Jolie found this out she made the decision to get a double mastectomy (breast removal). This lowered Jolie's chances of getting breast cancer from 87% to 5%!! Of course the genetic testing Jolie received was very expensive and getting breast removal was costly as well, but props to her for being brave enough to just get those boobs removed!

I know the rest of us lower income folks can't get the testing Jolie had but it is important to get checked as often as possible and to do monthly self breast examinations if you have breast cancer in your family.

Click this link to read more about Angelina's story. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails