Friday, December 6, 2013

A Feminist Friday

I always say I'm a bit of a feminist, and I know hearing the word "Feminist" can automatically bring out a picture in peoples minds of a radical woman who pickets and protests, burns her bra, and refuses to shave her legs. I think that's a flawed interpretation of feminism but needless to say that stereotype does exist, and while I'm no bra burning feminist. I am strong believer in upholding intrinsic values of humanity. Too long have women been scrutinized and objectified in the media, too long have women (globally and nationally) been tortured abused and mistreated. I am passionate about creating a world where men and women can reach their potential regardless of their gender. I could go on and stand on my soap box for days but the reason I decided to post this topic was because I saw two videos this week on the facebook newsfeed that shocked me to my very core. Both videos brought to light how we are failing at creating a world/society/culture that values women.

MEDIA INFLUENCE



QUESTIONS OUR GIRLS ARE ASKING!
Fathers Mothers and anyone who has a woman that they love whether it's their mother grandmother sister or daughter etc. Take note we need to do a better job at creating a world where women are valued and treated that way.

I had a High school bible teacher tell us one day that he believed women were the crowning jewel of creation. He went on to explain that when crowns are crafted for royalty the crown is incomplete until the last jewel which is usually the most exquisite is placed on the crown, that jewel is referred to as the crowning jewel. Creation was incomplete just as a crown is incomplete until God created women that is why they are the crowning jewel of creation. I always respected that man because he really did value the women in his life.

If you value your women they will go on to do incredible things in this world. I think Louisa May Alcott had it right when she wrote this in her most famous book Little Women.


“If you feel your value lies in being merely decorative, I fear that someday you might find yourself believing that’s all that you really are. Time erodes all such beauty, but what it cannot diminish is the wonderful workings of your mind: Your humor, your kindness, and your moral courage. These are the things I cherish so in you. I so wish I could give my girls a more just world. But I know you’ll make it a better place." -- Marmee, Little Women”

Let's take note. we need more Marmees in this world. I hope I can be a mom just like her someday!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails