Monday, October 10, 2011

Downton Abbey

Well lately I have been obsessed with a show I found on netflix called Downton Abbey. I'm surprised I even allowed myself to watch it because it's a british tv show and for some reason british movies and shows are so boring to me, but I was actually really surprised by this one I absolutely loved it.

The storyline of the show is about aristocrat Lord Crawley who sees his family heritage, especially the grand country home Downton Abbey, as his mission in life. The death of his heir aboard the Titanic means distant cousin Matthew Crawley, a Manchester lawyer, suddenly is next in line and accepts moving onto the vast estate with his even more modernist, socially engaged mother, who clashes with his lordship's domineering, conservative ma the dowager. Marrying off the daughters is another concern. Meanwile the butler presides over a staff which serves the family but also lead most of their entire lives in the servants quarters, intriguing amongst themselves.

My interest is mainly what goes on with the servants. You find yourself completely wrapped up in the lives of these people that are so devoted to waiting on this family hand and foot, doing the oddest chores such as ironing the morning newspaper. What I love most about the show is that day to day life is such a production, I mean every night about an hour before dinner the butler rings the dinner bell for the family to get dressed for dinner. The family get all dressed up and changed for a fancy meal every night the women do their hair and put on their gloves just to go back downstairs and eat dinner. I mean can you imagine that life, I usually eat dinner in my pj's. I also love the roles everyone has there is a definite hierarchy even among the servants some servants are not allowed to be seen, crazy right?

Anyways the final episode (there are only 7) totally leaves you hanging so I can't wait until season 2 comes out supposed to show on PBS in January feels like forever from now, but I totally marked it down on the calendar. See schedule here.

here is the family all dressed up for dinner

Here is a photoshoot of the main characters in vogue

These are my two favorite characters Lady Sybil the youngest daughter
My favorite character is Anna she is the head house maid

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails