Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Accomplishments to Celebrate

Go ahead and feel like you are on top of the world!

Do you ever feel like you tend to focus on your flaws and failures rather than your successes. Sometimes I catch myself looking in the mirror and criticizing myself I look at my small but growing wrinkles, the tired worn out look in my eyes, my curvy figure and I think tons of negative thoughts about myself, like "girlfriend you have seen better days" or "looking a little old". I know none of you ever do that! but my question today is why do we see ourself in such critical light. I'm now 27 years old which to some is very young to others very old but to me just feels like where did the time go wasn't it just yesterday that I was 22.

The average life expectancy in the United States is 78.2 so assuming that I will live an average life length I am 1/3 of my way through life. How weird to think of that I've lived 1/3 of life. I can't help but wonder did I make the most of it? Did I make some small impact in the world, did I accomplish anything.

You may sit there and do the same exact thing to yourself, but I'm challenging you today to start thinking of your successes instead of your failures.

I have friends who are very close to me that I discuss life with all the time some of those friends are single some are married with children some own a home some rent apartments some live with parents or family and some graduated from graduate school while others went as far as high school. In the discussions I have had with friends I have noticed a theme we all see the grass greener on the other side. Some of these friends feel unaccomplished because they never got a degree, even though these same friends have accomplished so much, such as finding a husband that loves them, giving birth to a beautiful child, buying their first house. To these friends I say look around you at the people you love your family and know that you are brilliant, loved and accomplished.

Then on the other hand I have friends who feel like failures because of failed relationships (where they still remain single), renting apartments or living with family members, struggling to make ends meet. To these women I say you are brilliant brave and accomplished, because while these women may not have the american dream yet they have accomplished so much, a lot of them have a degree bachelors/masters, some of them have traveled and seen so many places, some were brave and moved away from home when all of their friends stayed behind. Every person I know has something in their life that they have accomplished and it's time to stop looking at the failures and start celebrating the successes because even if you think it's small there is someone else who thinks it's great and probably envy's what you have done.

So friends and family next time you look in the mirror say thank you to God and yourself for the life you have lived, look at those wrinkles and say thank you for giving me a reason to smile and laugh, look at those worn out eyes and say thank you for the wisdom you have, look at those curves and say thank you for keeping me healthy! Look at yourself to your innermost part and say job well done!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails